Monday, October 19, 2020

Real and so perfect

 Author: Reenu M.

Mitali was sitting with downcast eyes in front of her computer. Her mother who had come into the room to put the ironed clothes in the cupboard, saw Mitali looking so sad. She was very concerned and so she put an arm around Mitali and asked her what the matter was. Mitali said, “Mumma, the girls in my class were discussing about doing a video for our teacher Miss Kavita; it is her birthday. I love Miss Kavita, so I wanted to be part of this video, but they declined saying I was too fat and ugly, and they did not want to spoil their effort. You are so pretty and slim, Mumma. I am your daughter so how come I am not like you?” Saying this, she put her head into her hands and sobbed.

Her Mom gathered her close, wiped her tears and said, “My dear, yes, you are my daughter who paints and writes so well that even Miss Kavita told me at the PTA meeting that I should enable you to harness this talent. You know my writing; I can barely string words together. And painting? Remember, how I tried to do rangoli last Diwali and everyone asked me to stop wasting my time and tell you to do it?”

The recollection of that day brought a slight smile to Mitali’ face. Her Mom was encouraged to say further, “And who says that Miss Kavita can only receive a video? Did you know that she is a writer too and her late father loved to paint? Why don’t you make a painting & write something nice for Miss Kavita?”

Mitali was thrilled with her effort on her present for Miss Kavita whose birthday celebration was at the end of the online classes today. Some boys presented her with an online skit, and the girls presented their video. Others who were not included in skit or video just showed her their handmade cards. Miss Kavita oohed and aahed & smiled through all of it. When my turn came, & I presented a painting of her with a poem about her father talking about her. The whole class fell silent as Miss Kavita was crying and looked at me with scorn in their eyes. I was terrified at the hate messages popping on my phone when Miss Kavita spoke “Mitali, I missed my father so much today. When I see this awesome painting and read your lovely poem about my father speaking to me from beyond, I just felt so special and so loved. Thank you my dear, I will treasure this for the rest of my life”.

The messages stopped coming. I was so happy.



Zinger for the Day:

You were born to be real; so, you are perfect just the way you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Being Mindful of the journey enroute to the destination

Kiran & Nimi had got married on the same day as Shane & Nikki a little over two months ago. Today Kiran & Nimi are fighting due ...